Catalyst 6500 High Switch Proc

Kevin Loch kloch at kl.net
Sun Nov 16 02:53:43 UTC 2008

Jon Lewis wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Nov 2008, Philip L. wrote:
>
>> This is on a Sup720-3BXL by the way:
>>
>> 'sh mls netflow table-con detailed:'
>> Earl in Module 5
>> Detailed Netflow CAM (TCAM and ICAM) Utilization
>> TCAM Utilization : 100%
>> ICAM Utilization : 6%
>> Netflow TCAM count : 262024
>> Netflow ICAM count : 8
>> Netflow Creation Failures : 2085847
>> Netflow CAM aliases : 0
>
> This looks like the same issue I ran into not long ago.  Switch your
> netflow over from full to sampled...you lose lots of data, but your
> hardware can't handle full netflow for your traffic level.
>
> AFAIK, your only other options are to mess with the mls aging timers
> (shorten them) or buy cards with DFC and hope that gets you enough
> additional netflow capacity for the interfaces your collecting.
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/cisco/nsp/94953

Hopefully he is not trying to use netflow for accounting/billing.
I use:

mls sampling packet-based 1024 8192

As it is a convenient factor of ~1000 from the real numbers.
1Gbit/s of traffic shows up as 1Mbit/s. This has been accurate enough
for anything I have wanted to look at like per-AS traffic.

- Kevin