hosted PBX/VOIP thru VPN?

Nathan Ward nanog at daork.net
Wed Nov 12 02:25:57 UTC 2008

On 12/11/2008, at 3:17 PM, Lorell Hathcock wrote:

> All:
>
> My customer wants to try to improve performance to his ATAs by
> creating a
> VPN from his network to the VOIP provider's network through the
> internet.

> Thoughts?  Should I try to dissuade him from this if performance is
> his main
> motivator?

Yep.

I've done this sort of thing to get around NAT problems, that's about
it.

Perhaps their theory is that a VPN gives them a "private" network, and
they've heard that "private" networks do VoIP better.
Obviously, a VPN doesn't give you control of the packets on the wire
like a private network does, so that theory doesn't work.

--
Nathan Ward