hosted PBX/VOIP thru VPN?

Lorell Hathcock lorell at hathcock.org
Wed Nov 12 02:17:12 UTC 2008

All:

My customer wants to try to improve performance to his ATAs by creating a
VPN from his network to the VOIP provider's network through the internet.

I have to admit, the idea caught me flat footed.  At the outset, it seems
like we would want to do it just to improve security for end users. However,
my customer wants it because he thinks it will improve performance (i.e.
voice quality).  We are suffering from poor VOIP quality due to the Sprint /
Cogent depeering and subsequent squirming by our vendors.

The only reason I can think that VOIP thru a VPN would help is that
*perhaps* routers in the middle on ASNs I have no control over *may*
prioritize VPN traffic higher than regular traffic.  They opposite could
also be true.

Specifically the ASNs in the middle are Level 3, Sprint and Time Warner.

Thoughts?  Should I try to dissuade him from this if performance is his main
motivator?

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Lorell Hathcock

OfficeConnect.net | 832-665-3400 (o) | 713-992-2343 (f) |
lorell at OfficeConnect.net

ocbannerjoomla