Sprint v. Cogent, some clarity & facts

Larry Sheldon LarrySheldon at cox.net
Tue Nov 4 18:45:20 UTC 2008

Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:

>> From a technical standpoint, the Internet is always suffering from
>> multiple
>> political failures. This leaves it vulnerable to small technical
>> failures it
>> could otherwise route around.
>
> See above.  I do not think it is a "political failure" that I do not
> give you free transit.

We3 have, I think, a reality failure.

The terminology comes from ARP and UUCP days.

The reality comes from today, where traffic flows, as a maximum, between
nodes that think there is something it for them to allow it to flow.

If a packet has evidence of "fare paid" flows.

End of story.

The difference between "peer" and "transit is the coin used to pay the
fare.