Any recent predictions for routing table growth?

David Andersen dga at cs.cmu.edu
Tue Nov 4 15:13:50 UTC 2008

Hey, Brad - the latest I know of are ours, but I'm possibly out of date:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dga/papers/aip-sigcomm2008-abstract.html

Look in section 4.1.  The #s were from routeviews, June 30, 2008.  The
gist:

June 2008:  247K entries
Growth rate:  17% per year

So - June 2009:  288k

There's an embarrassing typo in the formula in the paper - it says
"2.07 * 10^4" as the base, when it's obvious that it means 2.47 *
10^5.  Sigh.  I'll get that corrected. :)

Also note that our #s differ a bit from, say, CIDR report since we
used routeviews as our baseline.  If you use the june 6, 2008 CIDR
report as your starting point, which starts at 267k, the 17%
exponential growth would predict that the October 31, 2008 CIDR report
would report 284k prefixes;  in reality, it reported 286.  So,
reasonably close.  But you want to start with the # of prefixes that
YOU observe, since that's going to be a little different depending on
your vantage point.

Plug in:

STARTING_NUM_PREFIXES * e^(NUM_DAYS_ELAPSED * 0.0004253)

e.g., 267000 * e^(147 * 0.0004253)

and you'll have a pretty decent prediction unless things change
course. :)