routing around Sprint's depeering damage

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Tue Nov 4 02:59:53 UTC 2008

On 11/3/08, Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:
> if anyone is actually saying anything new here, please point it out.
>  otherwise this seems like a lot of folk rehashing things from 1992 and
>  every year since, trying to demonstrate how smart they are, which
>  demonstrates how smart they are not.
>
>  randy

With all due respect, Randy, we're rehashing the thread because
the people who *were* around in 1992 failed miserably at fixing
these issues then.

Perhaps the new crop of people rehashing these issues will figure
out a solution that eluded those who had the discussion in 1992,
and we can fix the underlying problems so that the discussion
need not continue happening every year.

Until the underlying issues are fixed, though, I think it's useful
to continue discussing and hashing out the problems in the
hopes that we can make some forward progress towards solving
the underlying issues.

Asking people to not talk about areas of the network that are
broken because you've heard it all before sounds like a very
bad case of osterich-itis.  If it's broke, let's try to fix it, not
sit around doing our best trying not to talk about it.

Matt