routing around Sprint's depeering damage

Marshall Eubanks tme at multicasttech.com
Sun Nov 2 16:27:15 UTC 2008

On Nov 2, 2008, at 10:29 AM, Anders Lindbäck wrote:

> Well, selling you an "unlimited" account and them terminating that
> contract if you use "to much" is one thing, that is a stated lack of
> a limit in your contract.
>
> There is no delivery guarantee of your IP packets in your contract,
> adding one would be a rather bad idea since there is no delivery
> guarantee in IP that your service is based on and that would open a
> carrier to liabilities if someone was using a firewall for instance
> since that is effectivly limiting your delivery to that machine.
>
> What you are buying is access to Sprints network, and transit
> effectivly on Sprints view of the Internet, and that is what they
> deliver really..

Sure. Note the "what I am buying" part of this. If I, as a Sprint
customer, cannot get to the web sites, email servers, etc., that I
need to with EVD0, I will blame Sprint if Sprint is dropping the
packets. As a customer, I do not really care why this is occurring.
Yes, I might cut them some slack if the site was hosted somewhere like
the summit of Mt. Everest, but that does not apply here.

For enforcing an SLA, it matters what the contract says, what the EULA
says, etc. For keeping customers happy, it does not.

Or, to put it another way, if Sprint's view of the Internet is not
mine, my view of the Internet will rapidly no longer include being a
customer of Sprint.

Regards
Marshall