routing around Sprint's depeering damage

James Jun james at towardex.com
Sun Nov 2 15:32:34 UTC 2008

> But seriously, it shouldn't be necessary to have two connections at
> work, two connections at home, two connections for each mobile device,
> just to ensure that when large providers stop working together you can
> still reach what you need to reach.

I think you're misinterpreting what I'm trying to say.

The consumers/end-users don't necessarily have to multihome.  The problem is
the content providers/web hosters sitting single-homed on either networks,
when most of them are physically sitting in better environment to multihome
(i.e. a datacenter) than consumers.

A consumer can be single homed to Sprint or Cogent, but when the other side
(the content) is multihomed, you'll simply take new route to get to that
content.  My point is, any business providing services over internet (this
excludes mobile devices, end-user/consumers) should be multihoming
themselves if they are serious about uptime.

James