Sprint / Cogent

Daniel Senie dts at senie.com
Sat Nov 1 15:37:30 UTC 2008

At 01:20 PM 10/31/2008, Randy Epstein wrote:
>If you haven't already seen it, the great Todd Underwood of Renesys
>published an article today on his blog regarding this subject:
>
>http://www.renesys.com/blog/2008/10/wrestling-with-the-zombie-spri.shtml

Just read through Todd's blog posting. Since I'm travelling at the
moment with a Sprint EVDO card as my connectivity, I now understand
why some sites have not been working. I assume my Sprint phone SMS
service is also impacted, insofar as any text-to/from-email will not
work to sites on the affected networks either. The micro-browser in
my phone will have been affected too, though it's too useless to
really use anyway.

If I can find a way to fax the corporate offices of Sprint on Monday,
I'll ask them for a refund on my service charges for the month, since
they're now selling me access to only part of the Internet from my
mobile devices. Funny, I'd just checked a few days ago to see if my
mobile devices are beyond any term commitment. Since they are, I will
now look at changing to another wireless carrier at the next
reasonable opportunity.

Did Sprint think about the fact that their decision would actually
impact their wireless customers? I'm sure my business's wireless
devices won't make or break Sprint's profits, but wonder if larger
businesses using EVDO might also raise concern? Is Sprint now lying
about selling "Unlimited Internet Access from anywhere" when peddling
their data cards? Is Sony, as well, by inclusion of EVDO cards within
their notebook computers? I presume their actuarial staff ran the
numbers and decided the risk was worth it, and that's what they'll
tell their stock holders.