amazonaws.com?

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Thu May 29 20:48:38 UTC 2008

Barry Shein wrote:
> What I really, really, (really), don't understand is what is this
> perverse urge to argue incessantly that spam and related do little or
> no harm, are of little consequence, and nothing can be done about it
> anyhow? You'd think we were discussing ways to prevent hurricanes (and
> some won't even accept that there's no answer to those!)
>
> I realize there's a little bit of one-upsmanship to just beating a
> hopeless point to death (ok, fine, huge ammonium nitrate explosions
> which level entire cities are worse than million+ zombie bot armies,
> and superman can beat up the hulk, etc.)

So don't use bad analogies... Describe the scope of the possible harm
you envision.

> Zombie bot armies et al do cause probably billions of dollars in
> damages (e.g., equipment and personnel to deal with them not to
> mention lost productivity by end users), undermine trust, etc.
>
> But don't you ever stop to consider where your collective bread is
> buttered before you give the public and quotable impression as
> professionals that whether or not spam, phishing et al are bad is
> debateable, like we were arguing creationism vs. evolution, that
> there's no point in even trying to curb it, that credit cards can't
> possibly work, etc?

The fact that is criminal enterprise is undesirable is not a subject of
much debate.

I object to the notion the destruction of life and property are suitably
analogous to spam, fraud, theft of resource and denial of service. They
aren't. One is at risk of minimizing the suffering of the victims of the
former by equating them with the later.

> It's one thing to give an idea a proper vetting, it's something else
> to work backwards from the assumption that nothing can possibly be
> done and just use reasoning like "I can think of something even worse,
> so therefore it's not so bad", or "fraud has occurred in credit card
> transactions, therefore credit cards cannot be viable."

I don't think there's any evidence of me assuming that. The potential
for abuse is not a prima facie reason not to do something. Large
successful parts of our economy as well as the basic human condition are
devoted to the business of managing opportunity vs risk and the
mitigation of the later where possible.