amazonaws.com?

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Thu May 29 16:04:15 UTC 2008

On Thu, 29 May 2008, Dorn Hetzel wrote:

> There is a really huge difference in the ease with which payment from a
> credit card can be reversed if fraudulent, and the amount of effort
> necessary to reverse a wire transfer. A mere "court subpoena" wouldn't
> even be remotely sufficient. The person wanting their money back would
> pretty much have to sue for it and win.
>
> So, yeah, there would be some customers for whom the couple of business
> hours it take their wire to go through would be longer than they would
> want to wait for their port 25 or other "risky" service to be enabled,
> but really, how many is that going to be.

  In the end, all you've done with these "extra" AUP and risk charges is
  line YOUR (generally, not directed at you Dorn) pockets while the rest of
  us suffer under the deluge of spam sent from your systems.  Which still
  sucks for the rest of the 'net.

  I suspect that for Amazon, it is easier and cheaper for them to screw us
  and allow spam to flow out port 25 unhindered (which costs US money and
  time) than it is to implement something that makes them a good Internet
  citizen (which costs AMAZON money and time).  Maybe they'll change their
  stance, but I suspect it is a business decision to not block port 25 and
  hang out on blacklists, not a good Internet citizen decision.

  My position from the beginning of this thread is that you cannot AUP this
  problem away, nor can you just "charge more" and hope THAT will stop it,
  nor can you simply improve and perfect anti-fraud systems so spammers and
  fraudsters cannot gain access to your services.

  It's free to do nothing, and there is a cost of doing something.  There
  are no laws that say what Amazon is doing is illegal, either.  You have
  choices: null route them, blacklist them, get a group together (NANOG?)
  and group null route Amazon's EC2 IP blocks until they bow to your
  demands.  Being on the 'net means spam, DOS attacks, being slashdotted,
  dealing with bad Internet citizens, etc.  Either you accept those facts,
  or you should give up and go unplug your connection.

  With a backhoe, preferably.  Much more fun.

Beckman