amazonaws.com?

Brandon Galbraith brandon.galbraith at gmail.com
Wed May 28 17:18:57 UTC 2008

On 5/28/08, Skywing <Skywing at valhallalegends.com> wrote:

> That's somewhat ironic of a sentiment you referred to there, given that the
> conception that one should have to hand over one's SSN for "verification" to
> anyone who asks for it is the kind of thing that many of these
> spammers/phishers thrive on in the first place...
>
> (I assume that you are not actually really advocating such a requirement
> for anyone wanting to run a mail server...)
>

> - S

Many, many years ago, when I was working someplace that was just starting to
dabble in shared hosting, the company would require a faxed copy of a
driver's license to enable some hosting features (shell off the top of my
head). In today's world, this simply will not do (customer sentiment,
liability for loss of that data you're storing, and so on).

I think the straightforward fix is for Amazon to put some practical mail
guidelines together for their environment (time-based volume limitations,
Amazon-provided smarthosts, etc) with an exception process for those who
need larger amounts of legitimate outbound mail. I guess legitimate is
subjective though. *sigh*

-brandon