Splitting ARIN assignment

Hyunseog Ryu r.hyunseog at ieee.org
Thu May 22 17:45:47 UTC 2008

I I were you, I will advertise as following.

/21 Original ARIN allocation
/22 First half of ARIN allocation
/22 second half of ARIN allocation

In this case, you will have backup /21 route just in case of filtering
or something like that.
But in normal case, traffic will be routed based on more specific
routes, which are /22s.

In some case, upstream ISPs may filter based on strict filtering, which
means all BGP prefix announcement should be matched with registered CIDR
info including subnet size.
In most case, upstream ISP will accept any subnet size between
registered size (/21) and /24 size.

Because of load sharing and traffic engineering requirement, it is easy
to handle those situation with /22 size.

Make sure that your two location is inter-connected directly, and have
enough capacity when each of location upstream connection goes down.

Hyun