Renumbering, was: [NANOG] Multihoming for small frys?

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Wed May 21 20:31:57 UTC 2008

David Coulson wrote:
> Depends - If you're an Enterprise where 90% of the equipment is managed
> by people who work in the same building, it's not horrible. I renumbered
> a bunch of /20s onto a /18 where 75% of the equipment was not in my (or
> the company's) control. That sucked big time.

I had the same issue. Add to that recursive DNS servers and the support issues
of everything that depends on them in and not in your direct control. While
mostly taken care of within a year, I've seen small side effects of the renumber
over 5 years later. Small things that work under normal conditions but still
have mention of the old IPs which cause problems when rare conditions occur (ie,
outages under specific circumstances).

Jack Bates