[NANOG] Multihoming for small frys?

William Herrin herrin-nanog at dirtside.com
Tue May 20 19:07:17 UTC 2008

Hi folks,

An administrative question about multihoming:

I have a client who needs to multihome with multiple vendors for
reliability purposes, currently in the Northern Virginia area and
later on with a fail-over site, probably in Hawaii. They have only a
very modest need for bandwidth and addresses (think: T1's and a few
dozen servers) but they have to have BGP multihoming and can afford to
pay for it.

The last I heard, the way to make this happen was: Find a service
provider with IP blocks available in ARIN's set of /8's that permit
/24 announcements (networks 199, 204-207), buy a circuit and request a
/24 for multihoming. Then buy circuits from other providers using that
ISP's /24 and an AS# from ARIN.

Is that still the way to make it happen? Are there alternate
approaches (besides DNS games) that I should consider?

Who should I talk to? Certain well-known companies seem incapable of
discussing service that isn't cookie-cutter.

Thanks,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com bill at herrin.us