[NANOG] IOS rootkits

Dragos Ruiu dr at kyx.net
Sun May 18 20:33:53 UTC 2008

On 18-May-08, at 7:11 AM, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
> 2. It can be prevented by what's widely regarded as BCP on router
> security, and has been covered at *nog, in cisco training material,
> etc etc for quite some time now.
>
> I am much less concerned about security conferences discussing this
> than about the (highly uninformed) publicity that accompanies these
> conferences.

I'm not going to touch the disclosure or not debate... it's been done.

But I will agree to disagree with you about the above two points.

First of all about prevention, I'm not at all sure about this being
covered by existing router security planning / BCP.
I don't believe most operators reflash their routers periodically, nor
check existing images (particularly because the tools for this
integrity verification don't even exist). If I'm wrong about this I
would love to be corrected with pointers to the tools.

Regarding the second point, I also lament the often liberal doses of
alarmism/FUD that get plastered over the popular media whenever
complicated technical issues are discussed - but unless we have some
have the discussions, and information dispersal, then the
misconceptions have no chance of being dispelled.
The threat of misinformed press does not seem to be sufficient to
justify censuring open discussion of the issues imho.

One of the thing I truly enjoy about the conferences we organize, is
seeing the synergism that occurs when multiple minds focus on these
security issues at the conferences. When the analysis is parallelized
over multiple brains, inevitably the creative solutions that occur
from the congregation of different viewpoints and ideas is pleasantly
surprising, and powerful.  I've seen numerous examples of this: even
just last April I had a chance to be a fly on the wall at a discussion
between Jacob Appelbaum and Theo DeRaadt talking about the cold memory
attacks research Jacob started - the result of which was that during
the discussion it was realized that with the addition of about 30
lines of code in the power fail interrupt handler a large segment of
those attacks could be nullified, as they are now on OpenBSD.  If the
discussion hadn't happened, the creative solution to it would have
never arisen. These kinds of "out of the box" solutions frequently
arise out of multi-person debate and free association that follows
discussions of serious issues - no-one has the whole picture and
adding other's viewpoints often brings superior solutions to problems
up.

So in my opinion the benefits of discussing serious issues at
conferences far outweigh the potential drawbacks of misguided media
coverage of them. What I infer from your post is that you are of the
opinion that issues such as this rootkit prototype should be reported
to CSIRT and then shuffled under a carpet. To which I respond that
that kind of attitude has led to what I currently consider to be an
inappropriate level of concern and awareness amongst service providers
of the seriousness of this threat. Cisco has some great guys, but
surely discussion of this threat amongst the wider security community
will lead to more and better solutions than Cisco operating in a
vacuum. And more importantly this issue is not a Cisco issue - the
basic threat vector should be a concern to other infrastructure
equipment manufacturers too. Until we talk about it, we cannot find
the right responses to the problem, and experts talking about it
usually leads to better and more comprehensive solutions than single
persons or smaller groups working in isolation.

cheers,
--dr

--
World Security Pros. Cutting Edge Training, Tools, and Techniques
London, U.K.   May 21/22 - 2008    http://eusecwest.com