[NANOG] IOS rootkits

Gadi Evron ge at linuxbox.org
Sat May 17 11:41:45 UTC 2008

On Sat, 17 May 2008, Simon Lockhart wrote:
> On Sat May 17, 2008 at 04:47:02PM +0930, Matthew Moyle-Croft wrote:
>> Paul Wall wrote:
>>> What if some good comes from this "root kit"?
>>>
>> I'm sure it'll be good for a number of security providers to hawk their
>> wares.
>
> How long before we need to install Anti-virus / Anti-root-kit software on
> our routers?

Very astute.

Sadly, this is already being done by a few people I know. No AV vendor has
such a tool to offer you, so don't bother asking them.

The question is, can you afford not to?

The answer may be yes, you can afford for your router to be a spying
machine for the enemy/competitor, and you can afford for it to be a bot
participating in DDoS (as currently, for example, many *nix routers are
known to be). The question is who can't afford for these things to happen...

 	Gadi.