[NANOG] US DoD receives chunked IPv6 /13 (14x /22 but not totally consecutive)

Christopher LILJENSTOLPE cdl at asgaard.org
Fri May 16 18:15:17 UTC 2008

Greetings,

	Not to address the political issues here (which are deep, wide, and
WAY too much of a black-hole), remember, that the DoD is not a single
organization from a networking perspective.  There are a number of
different organizations within that structure, all of which may, or
may not, want to announce separately, maintain their own external
links, etc.  Those boundaries can be on a service level (USAF vs USN),
geographical level (Southern Command vs. Northern Command), etc.

	My guess is that they don't want to be tied to only announcing a
single /13.  Each of those organizations is bigger than a lot of
service providers out there...

	As for why so many addresses - consider a networked ship (where
everything has an address), soldier (each soldier having one or more
addresses), battlefield sensors, etc.  With stateless autoconf, that
can add up fairly quickly (depending on network topology).

	Lastly, If you honestly think that any entity (government or non-
government) would launch an offensive cyber-attack from their own
address space... never mind....

	Chris