[NANOG] Charter Communications going to sniff traffic for advertising?

Tony Patti tony at swalter.com
Wed May 14 22:46:00 UTC 2008

deepak at ai.net wrote:

> Regulation could address this, a differentiated service could address
> this, but this smacks of paying for a service to then get additional ads
> sent to you. (like everytime you dialed a number into your Skype for
> Pizza Delivery, they sent you to their paid-Pizza Delivery provider
> instead).

Maybe history does repeat itself.  The paragraph above reminds me of the origin of the Strowger Switch:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strowger_switch

"According to legend, Almon Strowger was motivated to invent an automatic telephone exchange
after having difficulties with the local telephone operators. He was said to be convinced that the
local manual telephone exchange operators were sending calls to a competing undertaker business."

Tony Patti
CIO
S. Walter Packaging Corp.