[NANOG] [OPSEC] Microsoft.com PMTUD black hole?

Smith, Donald Donald.Smith at qwest.com
Thu May 8 17:19:41 UTC 2008

A few comments on your comments below.

RM=for(1)
{manage_risk(identify_risk(product[i++]) &&
(identify_threat[product[i++]))}
Donald.Smith at qwest.com giac

I believe a table of what to filter where was recommended.
I hope that table includes filtering and ratelimiting from, through, and
to.

However blindly accepting recommendations without understanding the
possibly ramifications
such filtering can have on your network is not wise.

> Also:
>
> 2.1.1.5.4. Operational/interoperability impact if blocked Filtering
> this error message breaks the Path-MTU Discovery mechansim described
> in [RFC1191].
>
> This is completely insufficient because it doesn't mention
> that 99% of
> all TCP traffic on today's internet uses PMTUD and filtering these
> messages leads to broken connectivity towards destinations that have
> an MTU lower than the source (lower than 1500 in practice).

I suspect your statistics. I don't believe the number is anywhere near
99% but haven't seen a study that would support any actual % numbers of
traffic that relies on PMTUD. If your aware of such a study/research I
would be interested in reviewing the results.

Again filtering THROUGH a device is probably not advisable filtering TO
your device might be advisable.