[NANOG] Microsoft.com PMTUD black hole?

Nathan Anderson/FSR nathana at fsr.com
Wed May 7 21:00:27 UTC 2008

Tomas L. Byrnes wrote:

> I'm not sure what the issue is here.
>
> Just about every modern firewall I've used has an option to enable PMTU
> on interfaces, while blocking all other ICMP.
>
> Is MS not running something manufactured in the last 10 years at their
> perimeter?

Not sure, but you actually entered in here to a subthread of the
original conversation, this one about other possible ways of dealing
with black hole "ICMP-munchers" in a pre-emptive fashion.  I had a
brainstorm that I thought would be workable, which is what we were
discussing here.  Apparently, it turns out my idea was no good. ;-)

The original discussion about MS blocking ICMP to their own servers,
which is the discussion it sounds like you are looking for, is over
that-a-way... *points*

--
Nathan Anderson
First Step Internet, LLC