[NANOG] Microsoft.com PMTUD black hole?

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Wed May 7 16:32:23 UTC 2008

Thus spake "Nathan Anderson/FSR" <nathana at fsr.com>
> A member of Microsoft's GNS network escalations team saw my
> postings on NANOG about this issue and took offense at my use
> of this forum to raise this issue with them, and criticized me as
> being unprofessional and lacking in business acumen.

First, it's "unprofessional and lacking in business acumen" for someone to
criticize their customers to their face.  As one manager taught me, "The
customer may not always be right, but they're never wrong."

Second, it's their own damn fault for not maintaining their contact
information properly in public databases.  If the only option they leave you
is to post to NANOG, because they don't respond to (or even accept) direct
requests to the listed contacts, then that's what you have to do.

Many companies are guilty of the latter, and we all get the benefit of
seeing the state of their customer service for reference when making future
buying decisions.  Very few are arrogant enough to do the former, though.