[NANOG] Did Youtube not pay their domain bill?

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Sat May 3 15:07:36 UTC 2008

> Depends - It doesn't help if the DNS server is dead, but the front-end
> is still advertising the routes.
>
> It came back to life for me a few moments ago (via Cogent) and it looks
> like the routing did not change (there is a bunch of 10/8 stuff in the
> traceroute).

Looks like it's back here. However, they clearly have more problems.
At the moment, the two name servers that the youtube.com domain is
delegated to,

dns1.sjl.youtube.com.   1H IN A         208.65.152.201
dns2.sjl.youtube.com.   1H IN A         208.65.152.137

reply ok. However, they reply that the youtube.com domain is served by

youtube.com.            1H IN NS        dns1.sjl.youtube.com.
youtube.com.            1H IN NS        dns2.sjl.youtube.com.
youtube.com.            1H IN NS        dns3.sjl.youtube.com.
youtube.com.            1H IN NS        sjl-ins2.sjl.youtube.com.

but reply with NXDOMAIN when asked for the A of sjl-ins2.sjl.youtube.com.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no