10GE router resource

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Mon Mar 24 11:12:57 UTC 2008

On Monday 24 March 2008, user user wrote:

> Hi everybody!

Hello.

> Also I'd love to hear recommendatios for "budget" 10GE
> routers. The "budget" router would be used to hook up
> client networks through one 10GE interface and connect
> to different transit providers through two 10GE
> interfaces.

Today, from Cisco, the smallest router you'll get a 10Gbps
Ethernet port on is the Cisco ASR1000 series. Mind you,
though, FCS for this box isn't until about May. Also, this
box is oversubscribed as the current switch fabric is
10Gbps.

From Juniper, the smallest M-series box you'll get the same
port on is the M120 platform.

You could also look at smaller switches from both vendors,
but if you plan on taking full BGP feeds from your upstream
providers, this might be an issue.

Cheers,

Mark.