ICANN opens up Pandora's Box of new TLDs

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Mon Jun 30 12:28:20 UTC 2008

On Jun 30, 2008, at 12:36 AM, Matthew Petach wrote:
> If my company pays for and registers a new TLD, let's
> call it "smtp" for grins, and I create an A record for "smtp."
> in my top level zone file, how will users outside my company
> resolve and reach that address?

I suspect the assumption is that no one will actually do this since it
would have operational issues (as you note) and it would be
challenging to recover costs in the "traditional" manner (i.e.,
selling names under the TLD).  If someone were to try, perhaps it
would demonstrate the quote "stupidity, like virtue, is its own reward"?

Regards,
-drc