DNS and potential energy

Rob Pickering rob at pickering.org
Mon Jun 30 08:08:35 UTC 2008

--On 29 June 2008 23:59 +0000 bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com wrote:
> 	one might legitimately argue that ICANN is in need of
> 	some serious regulation....
>
> 	that can happen at that national level or on the international
> 	level.

It is very likely that "serious regulation" particularly at an
"international level" would have a way more degenerate effect on DNS
operations than adding a bunch of new entries into the root.

Be careful about what you legitimately argue for...

I'm still having a hard time seeing what everyone is getting worked
up about.

Can anyone point to an example of a reasonably plausible bad thing,
that could happen as a result of doubling, tripling, or even
increasing by an order of magnitude the size of the root zone.

Sure, nefarious use of say .local could cause a few problems but this
is pretty inconceivable given that:
1) most estimates I've seen of the cost of setting up a TLD start at
around $500,000 (probably a bit over the credit limit on a stolen
credit card #).
2) These are easily fixed by adding known large uses like to this to
the formal reserved list.
3) I'm sure that these will in any case be caught well before
deployment under the proposed filtering process.

So, other than a change in the number of various DNS related money
chutes and their net recipients, what are the actual operational
issues here?

--
	Rob.