ICANN opens up Pandora's Box of new TLDs

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Mon Jun 30 06:46:59 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 02:45:55PM -0700,
 Roger Marquis <marquis at roble.com> wrote
 a message of 31 lines which said:

> The difference between '[a-z0-9\-\.]*\.[a-z]{2-5}'

If this is a regexp for the current root zone, it is
wrong... (".museum" and the test IDNs, whose punycode encoding
contains digits and hyphens.)

> Aside from the IP issues it effectively precludes anyone from
> defining a hostname that cannot also be someone else's domain
> name.

Interesting requirment but one which was never written down, I'm
afraid. You certainly cannot expect ICANN to comply with every
requirment that someone at Nanog may imagine every day.

> Will you still think that when someone buys the right to the .nic
> tld and starts harvesting your queries and query related traffic?

Be my guest. The DNS is a tree and the existence of nic.de or nic.com
was never a problem. Why should ".nic" be different?