ICANN opens up Pandora's Box of new TLDs

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sun Jun 29 22:06:03 UTC 2008

>> If you test that the TLD exists... it will still work.

> Only if A) you are always online with B) reliable access to the
> tld's nameserver/s, and C) can deal with the latency.  In practice
> this is often not the case.

Even under the most wildly optimistic scenarios, it's hard to imagine
new TLDs being added more than once a month, and I presume that
everyone here already knows how easy it is to get copies of the root
zone.  The reasonable way to validate TLDs is to fetch a copy of the
zone every couple of weeks and cache it.

By the way, to be sure we're all on roughly the same page, here's a
quiz.  How many names are there in the root zone right now?

a) 11
b) 97
c) 153
d) 280
e) 974

Regards,
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://www.johnlevine.com, ex-Mayor
"More Wiener schnitzel, please", said Tom, revealingly.