what problem are we solving? (was Re: ICANN opens up Pandora'sBox of

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Sun Jun 29 17:21:07 UTC 2008

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008, Joe Greco wrote:

> For example, I *ought* to be able to find the Police Department for the City
> of Milwaukee at something reasonable, such as "police.ci.milwaukee.wi.us".
> If I then needed the police for Wauwatosa, "police.ci.wauwatosa.wi.us", or
> for Waukesha, "police.ci.waukesha.wi.us".
>
> To extend that principle, companies that have an exclusively local presence
> probably don't need to be occupying space in a TLD.  That's the Marty's
> Pizza example.

  martyspizza.brookfield.wi.us works great.  At what point in Marty's
  expansion does Marty's Pizza get to move to a TLD?  The RFC leaves
  management decisions to an alluded to but unnamed group.

  Plus, WTF: John-Muir.Middle.Santa-Monica.K12.CA.US
  Cut and Paste or die trying.  I doubt parents will remember or type that.
  Besides, sophisticated search engines are making Domain Names less
  relevant anyway.  I can find Marty's Pizza in Brookfield via Google or
  Yahoo in a matter of seconds.  Let the search engines organize the web,
  not DNS.

  Schools are going short and sweet, just like businesses, using the
  existing TLDs.  martyspizza.net is fine.  So is johnmuirsl.org.  No need
  for 30 more or 3000 more TLDs.

Beckman