Mail Server best practices - was: Pandora's Box of new TLDs

Jim Popovitch yahoo at jimpop.com
Sat Jun 28 18:34:55 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 2:21 PM, Frank Bulk - iNAME <frnkblk at iname.com> wrote:
> FB> The point is that those are able to create a valid rDNS entry likely
> have more control of their infrastructure than those who don't.  You must
> admit, if you can't get a proper rDNS entry created for your domain, what
> does that say about your ability to control your infrastructure?

And to that point, a valid rDNS entry can easily be removed by the
netblock holder at smal co-lo facility.  This is an easy, although not
widely used enough, means for co-lo providers to retain control over
leased (mail) servers without worrying about the legal issues with
pre-maturely taking a customer offline.  I've never seen a posted
service delivery statement that guaranteed PTRs.  In fact, IMHO, PTRs
are a courtesy from the netblock owner, not a given.

-Jim P.