what problem are we solving? (was Re: ICANN opens up

Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET ml at t-b-o-h.net
Sat Jun 28 13:07:27 CDT 2008

> One way to provide protection is too allow those who have the domain portion
> of any domain.(com|net|org|...) to have first dibs for the domain of any new
> gTLD.  i.e. if nanog.org, nanog.com, nanog.net, etc. would have first dibs
> on nanog.thisisgreatstuff.
> Or is that too simplistic and fraught with division?
	I think the point some people are trying to make is that a person could
pony up the fees, get a new TLD, and then EXPECT ${FORTUNE_XXXX_COMPANY} to buy
theirname.NEWTLD . Instant market. Might even be able to make the investment back
the first year, and nice profit the subsequent ones just for companies keeping
their name protected.