ICANN opens up Pandora's Box of new TLDs

Roger Marquis marquis at roble.com
Sat Jun 28 03:11:39 UTC 2008

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008, Christopher Morrow wrote:
> 1) Fast flux 2) Botnets 3) Domain tasting 4) valid contact info
> These are separate and distinct issues...

They are separate but also linked by being issues that only be addressed at
the registrar level, through TOS.  Since some registrars have a financial
incentive not to address these issues, in practice, they can be implemented
only by ICANN policy (mandated much like the domain refund period).

> I'd point out that FastFlux is actually sort of how Akamai does
> it's job (inconsistent dns responses)

That's not really fast flux.  FF uses TTLs of just a few seconds with
dozens of NS.  Also, in practice, most FF NS are invalid.  Not that FF has
a fixed definition...

> Domain tasting has solutions on the table (thanks drc for
> linkages) but was a side effect of some
> customer-satisfaction/buyers-remorse loopholes placed in the
> regs...

The domain tasting policy was, if I recall, intended to address buyers of
one to a few domains, not thousands.  Would be a simple matter to fix, in a
functional organization.

> I'm not sure a shipping company really is the best place to
> solicit... or did you mean DHS? and why on gods green earth
> would you want them involved with this?

Yes, sorry, DHS. :-)  At least they are sensitive to security matters and
would, in theory, not be as easily influenced by politics as was the NSF.

Roger Marquis