ICANN opens up Pandora's Box of new TLDs

Tomas L. Byrnes tomb at byrneit.net
Fri Jun 27 19:48:08 UTC 2008

If they assign .local, they will break the default for AD, especially
SBS, Apple Rendezvous, anything using mDNS/Zeroconf, and a lot of other
"local significance only" uses of DNS, or, which is more likely, the
domains in .local will find themselves unresolvable from a very large
portion of the Internet.

.local should be reserved.