what problem are we solving? (was Re: ICANN opens up Pandora's Box of new TLDs)

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Jun 27 19:46:11 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 12:23:28PM -0700, Scott Francis wrote:
> that's exactly my point! it's _not_ reliable, but it's the behavior
> that the average user has come to expect. If we can't even guarantee
> reliability with the small handful of TLDs currently in use, when we
> start introducing arbitrary new ones to anybody that can pay, I'm
> concerned that it's going to make user support even more of a headache
> (for those of us unfortunate enough to be involved in that role,
> professionally or personally :))

That sounds like the "gun control will reduce gun crime" argument, to
me.  :-)

If there are enough *widely used* (generic) TLDs, then *people will stop
believing that ".com is the 'real' domain" (wasn't that Verisign's
sales pitch, once upon a time?).

Cheers
-- jra
Designer                +-Internetworking------+---------+            RFC 2100
Ashworth & Associates   |  Best Practices Wiki |         |             '87 e24
St Petersburg FL USA    +-http://bestpractices.wikia.com-+     +1 727 647 1274

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me