ICANN opens up Pandora's Box of new TLDs

Simon Waters simonw at zynet.net
Fri Jun 27 16:46:04 UTC 2008

On Friday 27 June 2008 17:13:10 Marshall Eubanks wrote:

> .localhost is already reserved through RFC 2606, so this should not be
> a problem.

.localdomain shouldn't cause a problem, since most Unix systems that use it
put it in the name resolution before the DNS is invoked (i.e. /etc/hosts).

ICANN have a technical review step in the procedure, which hopefully would
flag a request for ".localdomain", I don't think we want to try to enumerate
possible brokenness.

Probably appropriate for the review  step is to ask the root name server
operators if there is substantive traffic for a proposed TLD, as if there is
it may reveal a problem.

That said substantive traffic for a proposed domain need not of itself block a
request, ICANN are tasked with maintaining the stability of the net, not the
stability of every broken piece of software on the net.

Does anyone has a specific operational concerns - otherwise I think this topic
should probably be laid to rest on this list.