ICANN opens up Pandora's Box of new TLDs

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Fri Jun 27 07:55:37 UTC 2008

> There are probably some variations based on the zone,
> languages, IDN'ability, etc., but it certainly is a good idea
> to be bankofamerica.* for reasons that I think are obvious to
> most of us.

To make it hard for your customers to figure out whether a URL
is legitimately owned by the bank? To make it easier for evil guys
to steal from your customers by registering bonkofamerica.*?

Back to language examples. It would be perfectly legitimate for
BBC.ru to be owned by someone other than the well-known broadcaster
because in Russian, BBC is the abbreviation for the air force.
Probably this applies even more to BBC.aero.

IMHO things work better when you have a home TLD and then only use
other TLDs when it relates to your business operations. For instance
example.com is the home TLD, example.net is used by their consumer
broadband division, example.co.uk by their UK sales branch and
example.cn by their manufacturing division in Shanghai.

--Michael Dillon