Cloud service [was: RE: EC2 and GAE means end of ip address reputation industry? (Re: Intrustion attempts from Amazon EC2 IPs)]

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Tue Jun 24 03:47:17 UTC 2008

Frank Bulk - iNAME wrote:
> Right, port 587 would require SMTP authentication.
>
> I'm no routing expert, but can tens of thousands of /32s be excluded using
> BGP communities?

The sort of depends on how many fib entries you want to burn on not
forwarding traffic...

the argument in this thread however (which I more or less subcribe to)
is that in the future an ip address is insufficient granularity for mail
/badness filtering. Frankly it's not just computer clouds but also
address pressure, a million hosts behind a /24 are going to be rather
hard to pick out one at a time. ultimately the ability blackhole based
on something as gross as the source ip address is going to be
insufficiently fine grained for devices that must accept connections
from the internet at large.

> I don't know if spammers are going to be using TLS in a big way soon, though
> I'll admit I've not measured.

A couple years ago, when my former employer turned on tls support on the
outwardly facing mta's about 10% of our incoming smtp connections
immediately started using it after ehlo. That's not something I've kept
track of but I imagine it's an issue.