EC2 and GAE means end of ip address reputation industry? (Re:

Paul Vixie vixie at
Mon Jun 23 19:03:20 CDT 2008

Valdis.Kletnieks at writes:

> One could argue that the "botnets for rent" business model is in more
> widespread use than either EC2 or gridserver...
> I'm unclear whether that statement needs a smiley or not...

i'd say that since EC2 won't be shut down when it's found out about, that
you need a smiley.  "widespread use" is too narrow a term.  none of us
expects white-hat e-commerce business to move into rented botnets, and
rented botnets aren't all going to be in the same address space or ASN.
Paul Vixie