P2P agents for software distribution - saving the WAN from meltdown?!?

Blaine Fleming groups at digital-z.com
Wed Jun 18 16:20:28 UTC 2008

Christopher Morrow wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 9:53 AM, Netfortius <netfortius at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Has anybody used (and been successful at) a bit-torrent-like agent for fast
>> distribution of LEGAL software (install programs of large-DVD size), across
>> multiple sites, all over the globe, with bad WAN connectivity? I have read a
>> couple of references online (e.g.
>> http://torrentfreak.com/university-uses-utorrent-080306/) about such, but I
>> am a little reluctant to do it in a corporate environment, especially in the
>> light of potential misuse of such ... unless finding a way to install, use
>> and remove the P2P agent, all in one shot ... catch 22, sort of (distributing
>> the P2P agent, that is :)) ...
>>

> revision3.com

And we saw how it worked out for Revision3.com.  MediaDefender
considered them illegal and launched a Denial of Service attack against
them over Memorial Day weekend.  P2P is considered illegal and wrong by
people with lots of money and that makes it hard to use for legitimate
services.  Because MediaDefender is backed by the RIAA and similar
organizations they seem to be immune to prosecution.  However, if *I*
did the same thing then I know I would be locked up right now.

--Blaine