P2P agents for software distribution - saving the WAN from meltdown?!?

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 18:00:42 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 9:53 AM, Netfortius <netfortius at gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anybody used (and been successful at) a bit-torrent-like agent for fast
> distribution of LEGAL software (install programs of large-DVD size), across
> multiple sites, all over the globe, with bad WAN connectivity? I have read a
> couple of references online (e.g.
> http://torrentfreak.com/university-uses-utorrent-080306/) about such, but I
> am a little reluctant to do it in a corporate environment, especially in the
> light of potential misuse of such ... unless finding a way to install, use
> and remove the P2P agent, all in one shot ... catch 22, sort of (distributing
> the P2P agent, that is :)) ...

revision3.com
ubuntu.com
fedoraproject.org
.
.
.

most of the larger free-nix's do BT downloads on release day(s).
Revision3 distributes their content via BT. There were rumors of
Disney and Apple moving to BT models for their content distribution at
one point as well.

If the tracker isn't accessible from untrusted networks, what's the
concern you have?

-Chris