Cable Colors

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue Jun 17 04:31:36 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 11:27:43PM -0500, Joe Greco wrote:
[ quoting me ]
> > but doesn't *anyone* put service loops in anything anymore?
>
> Assuming you're using "service loops" in the sense of allowing enough
> cable to allow a server to slide out while running...  usually in copper
> building wiring, the term loosely refers to excess cable or whathaveyou
> stuffed back into the conduit/cavity/box to allow for the fixture to be
> pulled out and worked on.
>
> When you've got a dense rack (think something like 30 1U servers, with a
> minimum of 4 x Cat5/6/etc to each one), "service loops" are a great way
> to significantly reduce your airflow.  Think about how far you have to
> pull a server out...  is anything significantly less than 30" deep these
> days?  That means a lot of wire to store.  When it isn't mission critical
> that downtime be minimized to the second, it changes the perspective on
> whether or not you need to be able to pull equipment while having it
> still running.

True.  And I'm Mr Just Unplug It For A Second To Move The Cable, too.

> Each situation will have tradeoffs.  Pick appropriately, as always.

Excellent reminder.

Cheers,
-- jra
Designer                +-Internetworking------+---------+            RFC 2100
Ashworth & Associates   |  Best Practices Wiki |         |             '87 e24
St Petersburg FL USA    +-http://bestpractices.wikia.com-+     +1 727 647 1274

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me