Cable Colors

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Tue Jun 17 01:13:49 UTC 2008

> > But for proper cabling, see
> > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I1X6PM -- and make sure you read
> > the comments...
>
> *That* link requires a put-down-your-coffee warning. Most notable is the
> number of stars in the rating, which goes hand in hand with the
> comments. Thank you. I still have tears in my eyes.

And it's all relative.  One of the comments was:

"You can get the exact same connection from a $5 digital cable."

And I found myself thinking, "at that price, even that's a rip-off."
But that's bulk wholesale pricing I'm thinking of, I guess, or make it
yourself.

Speaking of cables and veering off towards cable-making, I was wondering
what people thought of the so-called "EZ RJ45" stuff.  One of the hazards
of doing long-term cut-to-length wiring is that if a crimp really goes
wrong, you might mess up your artistic work or need to re-cut a new cable.
Even having done as many cables as I've done, I occasionally have one go
bad.  The EZ stuff looks like an interesting compromise, does anyone with
a few thousand crimps worth of experience with it have any comments?

... JG