Cable Colors

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Jun 16 23:09:46 UTC 2008

Very true.  Another suggestion I will offer is that it is relatively
inexpensive to order cables with pre-printed serial numbers.

I get them for about $0.20/cable more than I could buy in bulk
and I get them in relatively low quantities.  They cost about half
of what buying a cable at Fry's would cost.

I use a format of XXXXXX-YY.Y where XXXXXX is a unique
six digit number for the particular cable and YY.Y is the length
of that particular cable.

Having these serial numbers triple-printed on self-laminating
labels at each end of the cable makes them very easy to read
and makes it very easy to be sure before you pull a cable that
the A and Z ends are of the same cable, which, can also be
a saving factor at 3AM.

Owen