DNS problems to RoadRunner - tcp vs udp

Scott C. McGrath mcgrath at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Jun 16 16:51:54 UTC 2008

All,

Thanks for the helpful suggestions.

For what it's worth we use Cisco's CNR as we operate a MAC registration
system which controls access to our network.   We allow customers to
select hostnames which are pushed into DDNS when the the system acquires
a lease.    CNR has internal limits (user configurable) which control
the TCP state machine and these are easy to overwhelm as once you hit
the high limit
the server process stops accepting new connection requests for any
reason until the connections go below the max limit once again.   We
have been in constant contact with the development group on defending
these machines from DDoS activity.

UDP is somewhat easier due to our network structure than TCP to rate
limit and we do operate microflow policers to limit UDP activity from
any given host.

We once used BIND but bind could not handle the DDNS updates in a
reasonable fashion as we have many short lived connections as students
access the wireless network between classes
hence the move to CNR which handles DDNS effectively but does not like
TCP based attacks     Unlike MIT over the river Harvard only has 2 Class
B's available and we have many more registered clients than we have IP
space for and a community which requires fixed hostnames for academic
reasons and since we cannot assign static IP assignments except to well
known and fixed services this becomes problematic hence DDNS which as
many have pointed out here is painful from a operational standpoint but
in our environment it is a lifesaver.

Unfortunately we have needed to insert some controlled breakage into the
network to keep the services our customers require alive as TCP SYN
attacks are unfortunately still effective in this
day and age we have tried many things our latest foray into TCP control
is creating a Snort infrastructure which is sufficient to monitor all
flows ingressing and egressing our network and from there based on
analysis of the data applying rules to limit traffic in real time from
ill behaved TCP hosts as our long term goal is not to operate a
corporate network locked into stupid mode with no understanding of
protocol needs

- Scott