P2P agents for software distribution - saving the WAN from meltdown?!?

Netfortius netfortius at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 13:53:20 UTC 2008

Has anybody used (and been successful at) a bit-torrent-like agent for fast
distribution of LEGAL software (install programs of large-DVD size), across
multiple sites, all over the globe, with bad WAN connectivity? I have read a
couple of references online (e.g.
http://torrentfreak.com/university-uses-utorrent-080306/) about such, but I
am a little reluctant to do it in a corporate environment, especially in the
light of potential misuse of such ... unless finding a way to install, use
and remove the P2P agent, all in one shot ... catch 22, sort of (distributing
the P2P agent, that is :)) ...

Stefan

P.S. If inappropriate for this mailing list, I apologize - but the "long fat
pipe" thread gave me the idea to ask here, vs. sysadmin-like lists, as the
potential for network impact is my primary concern.