DNS problems to RoadRunner - tcp vs udp

Nathan Ward nanog at daork.net
Sun Jun 15 01:12:39 UTC 2008

On 15/06/2008, at 12:45 PM, Mike Lewinski wrote:

> 2) The biggest drawback to separation after years of service is that
> customers have come to expect their DNS changes are propagated
> instantly when they are on-net. This turns out to be more of an
> annoyance to us than our customers, since our zone is probably the
> most frequently updated.

If you're running bind for your recursive boxes, `rndc -s <server>
flushname <zone>' run against each recursive box should do the trick
for bind 9.3.0 upwards. It will flush the cache for that zone only.
There was a bug where it wouldn't flush negative caches, but that
might be fixed. YMMV, etc.

Usual common sense warnings apply.

--
Nathan Ward