DNS problems to RoadRunner - tcp vs udp

Simon Leinen simon.leinen at switch.ch
Sat Jun 14 16:23:44 CDT 2008

Jon Kibler writes:
> Also, other than "That's what the RFCs call for," why use TCP for
> data exchange instead of larger UDP packets?

TCP is more robust for large (>Path MTU) data transfers, and less
prone to spoofing.

A few months ago I sent a message to SwiNOG (like NANOG only less
North American and more Swiss) about this topic, trying to explain
some of the tradeoffs:

Mostly I think that people "approaching this from a security
perspective only" often forget that by fencing in the(ir idea of the)
current status quo, they often prevent beneficial evolution of
protocols as well, contributing to the Internet's "ossification".