.255 addresses still not usable after all these years?

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Sat Jun 14 01:51:19 UTC 2008

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 13:43:36 -0700
Kameron Gasso <kgasso-lists at visp.net> wrote:

> Christopher Morrow wrote:
> > go-go-actiontec (vol sends those out, god do they suck...)
>
> Crappy CPE's are exactly why we don't hand out .0 and .255 addresses in
> our DHCP pools. :(
> --
> Kameron Gasso | Senior Systems Administrator | visp.net
> Direct: 541-955-6903 | Fax: 541-471-0821

We avoid them because in the interest of "security", customers who
would be assigned .0 and .255 have trouble accessing their online
banking and other financial websites. With IPv4 address space running
out, we'll probably inevitably have to start handing them out and then
get our customers to complain to their bank etc.

Regards,
Mark.

--

        "Sheep are slow and tasty, and therefore must remain constantly
         alert."