DNS problems to RoadRunner - tcp vs udp

Tomas L. Byrnes tomb at byrneit.net
Fri Jun 13 19:13:36 UTC 2008

First: if you don't allow TCP queries, then you're going to break lots
of recent applications for DNS.

Second: unless your server and resolver support EDNS0, there is no way
to increase the size of a UDP response, and even then, it's not large
enough for many applications (ENUM, TXT, APL, etc.).

TCP response to queries has been specified since RFC1035. The maximum
message size is limited to 65535 bytes (due to the 16bit message size
field before the header).

RE the Cisco questions: this would not be the first time Cisco lagged in
supporting enhanced services on the network.