OT: www.Amazon.com down?

Darden, Patrick S. darden at armc.org
Fri Jun 6 14:40:55 CDT 2008

I cannot reproduce this.
--Patrick Darden

-----Original Message-----
From: Adam Fields [mailto:nanog304985 at aquick.org]
Sent: Friday, June 06, 2008 3:19 PM
To: Lasher, Donn
Cc: nanog at nanog.org
Subject: Re: OT: www.Amazon.com down?

On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 11:24:18AM -0700, Lasher, Donn wrote:
> Checked, and doublechecked, not just me
> www.amazon.com returns:
> Http/1.1 Service Unavailable
> Anyone have a URL for a network/etc status page, or info on the outage?
> Been that way for a while this morning.

This is rather suspicious (and confirmed by three other people):

$ whois amazon.com

Whois Server Version 2.0

Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
with many different competing registrars. Go to
for detailed information.

whois for yahoo.com and google.com yield similar results.

I expect this means that DNS has been compromised somewhere.

				- Adam

** Expert Technical Project and Business Management
**** System Performance Analysis and Architecture
****** [ http://www.adamfields.com ]

[ http://www.morningside-analytics.com ] .. Latest Venture
[ http://www.confabb.com ] ................ Founder